For the ongoing health and safety of our patients, their families and our team members, all Ballad Health team members are required to receive their annual flu vaccine. The deadline for team members to get their flu vaccination is Friday, Oct. 28, at 4 p.m., unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption.
Flu shots will be offered at Team Member Health offices from Oct. 3-28.
Important info about exemptions
This year, medical or religious exemptions for the flu vaccine may be requested beginning Thursday, Sept. 15, through Friday, Sept. 30. Team members seeking an exemption must complete an online exemption request form and provide the required documents prior to the deadline.
Exemption approvals in prior years will not be automatically honored this year, so anyone seeking an exemption must reapply by completing the online exemption request form and submitting current documentation by Sept. 30.
The submission form can also be accessed on the HR Department site on the Ballad Health intranet. (NOTE: You must be on a Ballad Health network device to access the intranet.)
Flu shot key information
- Team members can also get their flu vaccinations from their primary care provider or at other places where it is offered, but would need to provide documentation to Team Member Health by Oct. 28 at 4 p.m.
- The flu vaccination is mandatory for all team members, employed physicians, students and volunteers, unless they have an approved exemption. However, only Ballad Health team members, including our employed providers, will use the electronic exemption request form process. Students seeking an exemption must follow the process in place at their school to request an exemption directly with the school. Volunteers seeking exemptions will be provided a paper exemption request form to complete, so please check with your volunteer leader. Independent, credentialed providers wishing to file for an exemption should contact Medical Staff Services to obtain and submit an exemption form request.
- The vaccine is safe and can help protect our communities from the flu and, in turn, safeguard our staffing and resources during flu season.
- The vaccine is also safe for team members to receive at the same time they get a COVID-19 vaccination or booster.
- A required flu education handout will be given to each team member by Team Member Health at the time the vaccine is administered.
- Obtaining an approved exemption still requires team members to wear a mask throughout the flu season; additionally, masks continue to be required in all Ballad Health facilities as a precaution against COVID-19.
- There is no cost for team members to get the vaccine.
- Dependents on our health plan can go to any OptumRX network pharmacy providing influenza vaccines, show their medical insurance card and receive the free (to them) flu vaccine. Ballad Health pays for this important health benefit on behalf of our covered dependents on the health plan.
Thank you in advance to all team members! Getting the flu vaccine helps promote the safety of our patients, visitors and team members.